We are able to put your rehab program into movement, including how to train when to use your support muscles. The MTY method, as taught through the PYT Institute, teaches helpful modifications for yoga in healthcare. We put stability before mobility, along with safer alignment. This allows us to train your team of core muscles to work enough to protect you, but not overuse with over-fatigue or over-stretching.
Q: Do you need experience in yoga and will you need to choose yoga for your long term fitness?
A: No to either- we hope you can put your new skills to practice in any of your preferred fitness programs.
Q: What if I have had painful experiences or injuries with yoga in the past?
A: We avoid strain or over stretching and follow rehab modifications.
Q: Is Medical Therapeutic Yoga the same as Yoga Therapy?
A: No. Medical Therapeutic Yoga is the practice and delivery of yoga within healthcare by licensed healthcare professionals. We evaluate alignment as you move and symptoms to personalize your movement training. This can include how to make modifications for returning to yoga or other fitness classes in the community.
Medical Therapeutic Yoga is the practice of yoga in medicine, rehabilitation, and wellness settings by a professional who is completing or has graduated from the Professional Yoga Therapy Studies program, and has been credentialed as a Professional Yoga Therapist – candidate (PYT-c) or Professional Yoga Therapist (PYT). The PYTA program (Professional Yoga Therapy Assistant) is for non-licensed professionals who work under the direction and supervision of a licensed medical professional.
This biopsychosocial approach to wellness includes the spiritual, physical, intellectual, energetic, psychological, emotional, and social aspects of our being. Medical Therapeutic Yoga is a bio-mechanically sound, evidence based treatment design operating within the pentagon of wellness, addressing all aspects needed to obtain optimal health.
The Professional Yoga Therapy Method combines:
- Physical therapy
- Athletic Training
- Manual therapy
- Muscle energy
Medical yoga in the PYT method can help with:
- Chronic pain
- Back and joint pain
- Respiratory diagnosis
- Depression and anxiety
- Women’s health
- Orthopaedic and sports injuries
- Enhanced sports performance
- Weight management
- Overall well being and injury prevention
Professional Yoga Therapy Institute’s Vision:
- to evolve yoga for use in healthcare.
- to transform the biomedical model through use of the WHO endorsed biosychosocial model of care.
- to foster creativity and innovation in healthcare through training a bilingual practitioner, the Professional Yoga Therapist. A PYT can fully utilize the power of yoga through biomedical science. PYT’s backgrounds give them an advantage and expertise that makes them the ideal practitioners to teach and apply yoga therapeutically to complex patient populations.
- to address social conditioning and gender-bias in healthcare to guide ourselves and our communities toward optimal gut-brain-body health and self-care.
- to teach partnership-based rehabilitation via Caring Economics theory. PYTI is a member of the Caring Economy Coalition, and PYTI Founder, Ginger Garner, is a certified Caring Economics Conversation Leader. Caring Economic Theory works to bring value to culturally sensitive, egalitarian principles through shifting practice paradigms in economics, education, and healthcare.
Read a great overview of the Professional Yoga Therapy Method: